[Dixielandjazz] Electronic payments

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Mon Mar 8 21:32:02 PST 2004

As usual, impeccable wisdom from Sheik Littlefield whose fakebook and
related products I can wholeheartedly recommend to you all - however I would
add one small observation about David's following snippet  :

"I don't have electronic payment methods for my books, haven't seen any
 indication that I need 'em, except possibly for international sales.
 However, I have found the international mails to be totally reliable and
 quite fast in selling to Europe; my customers send cash and in 8 years,
 I've never lost a book or cash."

I too have never had a problem with customers sending me cash through the
mail, particularly the multitude of Americans who thankfully seem to lust
after my wares. Once upon a time I accepted US checks until British banks
began to charge ridiculous amount to process them, in many cases the charge
was in excess of the value of the check! Thus it was that I was obliged to
refuse US checks and ask for cash instead. Naturally many potential
purchasers were (and still are) reluctant to risk sending me cash money.

On the recommendation of my son-in-law a few months ago I signed up for a
PayPal account, a very simple procedure which now allows me to accept
payments by credit card without the hassle of dealing with Visa, Mastercard
and a host of other plastic rulers of the world (PayPal is owned by Ebay,
who carries out all the card authorisations for you). PayPal has generated a
significant amount of trouble-free business for me, I have no hesitation in
singing its praises.

Disclaimer - I wish that I did, but I have absolutely no financial interest
in PayPal, I'm just a big fan of their li'l ol' operation.

John Farrell