[Dixielandjazz] Selling your band and creating jobs.

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 4 09:27:15 PST 2004

Judy said
> John Petters (who ought to have better things to do 2 days ahead of
running
> a big event:-) )
Well I got the programmes printed yesterday and can relax a bit before all
hell breaks loose.

> I'm finding that my local jazz contact email list is beginning to work
> pretty well.  Tony Davis and I put on occasional gigs in our village hall
> and by far the best response for our next event has come  via e-mail.
No surprise there Judy. You are doing absolutely the right thing. For all of
my events either the snail mail to out national jazz list (12,000 plus) or
the e-mail list (considerably less) brings in the bulk of the bookings.
Added to which there are ads in the Jazz Guide, Just Jazz and sometimes Jazz
Journal - and most importantly the assistance of the artistes in
distributing leaflets at there gigs. Jazz clubs play a major role here also.
Free press editorial and local radio are better ways than paid ads, but you
still need a good poster and leaflet campaign to cover all bases. In other
words don't shortcut your publicity. Never take anything for granted. You
are only as good as your next show.

> will it just be J Petters,  T Davis and me for the 6 am Face to Face on
Sat
> :-)?
I hope I will be in dreamland by 6am on Sat.
Cheers
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com