[Dixielandjazz] Selling your band and creating jobs.

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 3 21:23:32 PST 2004

Tom's longish post is certyainly worth reading. But first the product must
be right. Problem with traditional jazz is that there are many bands (in the
UK at least) who play for very little money in pubs where no admission is
charged. Consequently they cannot justify high fees (realistic fees) for
private work. I have always quoted a realistic price and have often been
undercut by a bunch of scruffy muppetts who can hardly play. This led me to
theatre shows and promotions. Now probably 80 percent of my gigs are
generated by me.
Alan Robinson who runs the Ken Colyer Trust New Orleans Jazz Band ruffled a
few feathers in Just Jazz Magazine recently by saying he could no longer
afford to play most jazz clubs and they would not pay his fees. Many venues
charge under £5 admission. The sums do not work. Minimum price should be £10
these days. Many clubs struggle with attendances. Pay peanuts and you get
monkeys.
So get your act together. Spend some time on publicity, sharpen up your act
and get properly rewarded for a good job - then you can justify your fee and
get good quality work not only in the corporate circuit but on the concert
stage.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com