[Dixielandjazz] Band Uniforms

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 26 17:41:01 PDT 2004

> Bill Horton wrote about Pat Cooke's words (polite snip)
>
>  >and had the band dressed up in some
> > ridiculous 'student prince' type costumes mainly so the guests wouldn't
> > mistake them for another guest.
>
> Ah, the old mind-reading act with the crystal ball!
>
>  >They should have impeached him for that and
> > we would have avoided the Watergate debacle!
>
> Could you cite which article of the Consitution specifies that as an
> impeachable offense?

Article II, Section 4. stating that the President (and other civil officers) "shall be removed from office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high crimes and 'MISDEMEANORS'."

According to professors of Constitutional Law, "Misdemeanor" was historically defined, at the time Constitution was written, as "the act of misbehaving", though that definition is rare these days. Probably a catch all so that politicians would always be able to bring articles of impeachment for just
about anything. Very useful when the party controlling the Congress is different from that of the President and they think they have the votes to throw him/her out. The US Constitution is full of such nebulous and "implied powers", which results in the ability of the Supreme Court to make law through
judicial decisions when no such power is granted in our Constitution. As well as for the president to get us into a war, without a formal declaration of war as the Constitution states must happen first.

So, just about anything is cause for Impeachment. The hard part is getting the conviction. ;-)

Richard Millhouse Nixon had a thing about uniforms. He dressed up the regular palace guards (US Marines) in some pretty outlandish student prince outfits befitting his imperial version of the presidency. Colossal waste of money to re outfit folks who were already in some pretty spiffy uniforms.

Regarding those who Bill pointed out wear uniforms:

Most Priests & Nuns no longer wear "uniforms" in the USA. They prefer civilian street clothes. Can you blame them?

Ball teams only because their owners insist on it. Another form of slavery, albeit economic?

If the Pope wants to wear a dress, that's fine with me, but it does leave some questions unanswered.

Most popular contemporary pop and jazz musicians these days do not wear uniforms as they are out of fashion, but so what?

Band uniforms? Hey, if you like em, wear em. If not don't.

Cheers,
Steve ( I voted for Nixon twice) Barbone

Musical content: "Tain't nobody's business if I do." and "Ain't Misbehavin".