[Dixielandjazz] More on WPA

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Sat Jun 26 09:05:34 PDT 2004

While on this subject, in May 1940 the QRS company released a piano roll of
WPA (catalog number QRS 7233) listing Fats Waller as the artist. In fact it
was not Fats at all but J. Lawrence Cook who had an agreement with Fats to
use his name in the hope of increasing sales.

 Surpringly Fats did not receive any payment on this account but when he
passed away in 1943 the executors of his estate began to demand royalties
from QRS. As roll sales were insufficient to make this a viable proposition,
Cook's use of the Waller name was discontinued.

John Farrell