[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms & Agents - Redux

WILLIAM HORTON WILLIAMHORTON at peoplepc.com
Fri Jun 25 22:38:59 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Cooke" <patcooke at cox.net>
To: <TCASHWIGG at aol.com>; <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 18:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Uniforms & Agents - Redux

> Uniforms are for identification...usually to identify the wearer as a
> menial.

Like Admirals or Generals or the Pope or Priests or Nuns or members of the
NY Yankees or the Oakland Raiders???

 >This notion was crystallized for me back when Nixon had some snooty
> get together at the white house

"Snooty"?  You mean it wasn't an old t-shirt beer blast out in the parking
lot?

 >and had the band dressed up in some
> ridiculous 'student prince' type costumes mainly so the guests wouldn't
> mistake them for another guest.

Ah, the old mind-reading act with the crystal ball!

 >They should have impeached him for that and
> we would have avoided the Watergate debacle!

Could you cite which article of the Consitution specifies that as an
impeachable offense?

>    Pat Cooke

Bill "I didn't vote for Nixon, but" Horton

Now
> > am sure Barbone Street  dresses fine but looks like a group of Doctors
on
> their
> > day off playing a little music for the neighborhood Bar B Que Party.
> > Nothing wrong with that either especially if the Bar B Que is for 10,000
> people and
> > sponsored by the City.  :)))
> >

> > Now on a serious note:   I supply all the uniforms and maintain them for
> the
> > band for several reasons besides the above mentioned ones.
> >
> > 1. It  saves a lot of excess baggage charges for the band,   They don't
> have
> > to bring three suitcases of clothes per man on tour.   I collect them
all
> > after every show and have them laundered and or cleaned.   We carry
about
> four
> > different sets on tour and can mix & match most of them for a different
> look
> > every day or even every show.
> >
> > 2.  I have a predominately Black American Band, and Black American
players
> > like to look good and dress a bit on the Flashy side.  They actually
like
> > uniforms because it has proven to get them respect from some folks who
> normally
> > would not have any respect for them, but do respect the uniform as a
> symbol of
> > success.  I think we learned that from the Military training, ( you may
> not like
> > the man wearing it but you better salute the uniform) especially if it
> shows
> > higher rank than you have achieved.
> >
> > 3.   It has also broken down some pretty rigid racial barriers for us in
> some
> > places, from folks who are less tolerant of Black Folks in their
> communities.
> >
> > 4.    It helps me keep track of my guys on the road in Train depots and
> > airports and even at large festivals, where they are easier to find in a
> crowd,
> > when we are on the road we have to operate as a team and stick together
> and look
> > out for one another's back.
> >
> > 5.   Great for Television coverage and looks really good in Living Color
> on
> > the front page of the Newspapers and Entertainment magazines as well.
not