[Dixielandjazz] Re: DJML

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 24 00:40:47 PDT 2004

Tom and DJML--
     Hear, hear!  What he said.
     I bin on this list now man and boy for a little over four years
(does it seem like longer than that to you, too?  Sorry.) and you
folks have all educated me in the lore of OKOM (ancient relief-night
leader of the musicians for King Conan, long may he eat spouts in the
land of Right Turn on Red).  And it's not only been knowledge, but
experience, and attitude, and humor, and fellowship, that have been
so great.
     I probably shouldn't admit this, so i won't.  I'll _state_ it
(thus admitting no guilt).  But i've been saving the messages you
guys (which locution is increasingly becoming to mean both 'guys' and
'gals') have been sending these last four years, into categories on
my Mac in Eudora mailboxes.
     Not only do i have a backlog of 2,875 messages as yet
un-mailboxed in my "Dixieland Daily" mailbox where they arrive every
day, but there are separate mailboxes for the following topics:
Arrangements, our local novice-band that i used to play in, the
Austin Traditional Jazz Society, dixieland in Austin in general,
dixieland Bands, the Black Derby Jazz Band i was in in San Antonio
recently, Books/Magazines, Business, dixieland in Cities around the
world, Concerts, Discography, DJML itself, Festivals, Gigs, History,
Humor/Quotes, Improvising, Instruments, Internet Radio, Learning,
Marketing, Miscellaneous, Music Notation, People, Players, Radio TV
Movies, Recordings, Sacramento, Songs, Stores, Styles, Tech, Texas,
Tommy Loy Dallas, Trad Jazz International, Tuba, Websites, and
Personal Stuff (emails from 40+ different individuals on this list).
     Yes, i know all the emails are also saved on the web, but not in
categories, like all the great info Messrs. Barbone and Wiggins inter
alia have bequeathed us over the years on Business and Marketing.
     Is anyone else here AR-enough (think about it) to be doing this
too?  Just curious.
     At any rate, i'm just patting y'all on the back and trying to say
thanks for all the info and fish and everything.  Keep it up, please.

     Dan