[Dixielandjazz] Re: Frenchy's String Band

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 24 14:00:42 PDT 2004

(More disco stuff. For those of you who can't be bothered, hit 'delete'
now.)
Dear Dan,
I too believe that "discography has saved jazz history from extinction".
Thanks to your lead, I found my copy of the Sam Charters book 'Jazz: New
Orleans 1885-1957' (Jazz Monograph No. 2. 1958 published by Walter C Allen.)
Note the title and source, as you may have a later copy.
The Buddy Petit and "Bucket's Got A Hole In It" reference in my copy is on
page 58 and makes no mention of the 1928 version with Christian, Tom (Oke)
Gaspard and Percy Darensbourg.
Although Brian Rust may have guessed at Tommy Ladnier in an early 'Jazz
Records', he has accepted Polite 'Frenchy' Christian in Edition 4 (1978),
but reverses this to Christian 'Frenchy' Polite in Edit 5 (1982) and Edition
6 (2002). But not in the Index!
Rust lists the others as Percy Darensbourg, bj; Sam Harris, g; Jesse Hooker,
cello.
'Blues and Gospels' (more reliable for blues records in my opinion) in
Edition 3 (1982) gives 'Frenchy' Polite Christian. Edition 4 says Polite
'Frenchy' Christian. B&G lists the others as Percy Darensbourg, bj; unknown,
g; prob. Octave Gaspard, sb (bowed).
The record must have been covered in a blues article somewhere.
Maybe someone could check the recent, comprehensive 'Storyville' magazine
Index, which I do not have yet.
Very kind regards,
Bill.