[Dixielandjazz] Re: Frenchy's String Band

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 24 10:30:05 PDT 2004

Dear Bill,
I for one think discography has saved jazz history from extinction.
  Thanks for the additional information. In "New Orleans Jazz 1895/1963"
  (page 56)  Charters lists Christian, Tom (Oke) Gaspard
on bass violin and Percy Darensbourg on tenor banjo on what he calls a
remarkable recording of Bucket Got a Hole in it, made in 1928. He says
the cornet playing is remarkably like Buddy Petit. (!!)
Another source,( I think Rust) associated trumpeter  Tommy Ladnier with
the group but I can't locate my notes on that one.
regards
  Dan Hardie
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html