[Dixielandjazz] RE: Oscar Peterson-OKOM and other Matters

Tito Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Wed Jun 23 16:37:04 PDT 2004

Norman,

Thanks for your comments.

Please remark I don't say "that playing OKOM is the beginning
of all musical wisdom".

What i said and mean is that you can play any "modern", contemporary,
revolutionary, modified or anything music; BUT, to have a right to still
call JAZZ that concoction, the thing should keep some connection with
basic OKOM principles, and I mean swing, blue notes, collective
improvisation, extrovert african rhythm elements, all of this melting
with and contrasting with introvert european classical musical rules and
its rigid discipline.

Examples: Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, Th. Monk.  They knew and could play
OKOM but created their own new rules, and still we can call JAZZ their
inventions.

I can't say the same of Bill Evans, Pharaoh Sanders, and other GREAT
musicians which departed so radically from the origins that to my own
consideration they just don't play JAZZ. They play their own kind of
modern music.

 Even Lester Young and Beans and Dizzy and Parker could play "straight"
OKOM pieces if they wished to, as confirmed by Steve Barbone who was
present to some of their jam-sessions.

That's why I think that whilst they normally played "modern" music, they
could still call that music JAZZ because they knew from where this
"modern" music came all about; that is, their music stays (even vaguely
in some aspects) related to OKOM basic principles.

Actually I don't give any wheight to that analytic esoteric theoretic
babble, because in practice I accept and appreciate and enjoy any kind
or style of good music (even NOT being jazz), and that is true even if
for my own pleasure I play only old style OKOM.

Musically yours,

Tito