[Dixielandjazz] Re: Whispering

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 23 15:59:34 PDT 2004

> In a message dated 6/9/04 7:32:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kash at ran.es
> writes:
>
>> Why is it that if the audience loves it, it is obviously a crap song
>> according to a lot of musicians?
>>
>> When The Saints
>> Wonderful World
>> New York, New York
>> ......to name three.

Bud wrote (in part): >We have just started an arrangement with Whispering
and at a moderate tempo has real possibilites...After a straight vocalish by
our good singer,
I'm thinking of doing a Spike Jones-like rap vocal playing off the original
lyrics.  Something like:
Honey lamb, oh Sweet Breath, you know when you whisper while we cuddle.
Baby Doll, I want to whisper back so only you can hear me.
Buttercup, your little whispers always seem to cheer me.
You should know--w  Little Kitten, that its only me for you.
Cute Bumpkins, when you whisper that you'll never leave me,
I know that you'll never grieve me.,
Maiden of Hope, when you whisper that you believe me,
I want to whisper back that.... I love you.
At which point the tempo jumps to halfime time with many bells and whistles
and a banjo solo!.  Yah Hoo!
Oh what the h---...maybe too mushy.

Dear Bud,
Why not leave "Whispering" as it was originally written in 1920?
Our band does.
Just a thought.
Very kind regards,
Bill.