[Dixielandjazz] Re: Matthews Band of Lockport

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Jun 21 15:43:35 PDT 2004

DAN HARDIE WROTE:
I doubt anyone alive has heard the Matthews Band of Lockport. They were
active around 1906, one of a number of bands in districts surrounding New
Orleans and look like a fairly traditional brass band of the time. (See p
82 of the Ancestry of Jazz). I doubt they played jazz or recorded though
this is probably Charles Suhor's territory.. he might be able to get
further information.

Dan and listmates,

I'm not well versed in the details of early jazz, as my recent questions
about 4/4 v. 2/4 show. My intensive research and life experiences have been
in the postwar years in New Orleans. This of course involved knowing many
then-living foundation artists as well as looking back, though not
comprehensively, at the early years.

I did do some deeper digging into early artists when a tribute poem about
1st generation players from the Thibodaux, La., area was commissioned.
Lockport is nearby but I didn't notice the Matthews name, and I had to be
selective in the names that did come up. It's very likely that Dan Hardie's
comment below is right on. As Gilbert Erskine has said, not every player in
and around N.O. at the turn of the century was a key link in jazz history,
though there's a tendency among some figs and scholars to lionize and even
canonize the lot of them. It's enough that they were part of the rich and
complex cultural milieu, maybe contributing to the interlocking causal
events in untraceable ways, like in chaos theory where the famous butterfly
wing causes a monsoon halfway across the world. Hey, that's aplenty for me.

My info source for the poem was the wonderful Tulane Jazz Archive. I don't
want to use up my good will chits with a question about the Matthews Band
in Lockport, esp. since I might go back to Bruce Raeburn for more info
about the 2-beat/4-beat question. I'm betting though that they'll search
for the name and let you know if it's on their radar. (504-865-5688; Alma
Freeman, adw1954 at tulane.edu, is great for this kind of question.)

Charlie Suhor

Dear Tom,
I doubt anyone alive has heard the Matthews Band of Lockport,
They were active around 1906, one of a number of bands in districts
surrounding New Orleans and look like a fairly traditional brass band of
the time. (See p 82 of the Ancestry of Jazz). I doubt they played jazz or
recorded though this is probably Charles Suhor's territory.. he might be
able to
get further information
regards Dan Hardie
Check out the website at