[Dixielandjazz] Sam Morgan band, 4/4, solos, etc.

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Sat Jun 19 02:09:43 PDT 2004

Charles and listmates,
A few more thoughts.  Interesting that the 1940's  revival bands of Bunk
Johnson, George Lewis, Kid Ory, Kid Thomas,  for example, usually went with
the 4/4 string bass sound as the norm - similar to the New Orleans rhythms
of Sam Morgan (circa 1927) . In spite of the fact that many of these guys
had played regularly in the 2 beat parade bands in New Orleans.   Then a
little later, many of the European traditional revival groups followed Bunk,
Lewis & Co and enshrined that 4/4 bass sound, for example
Barber/Bilk/Ball/Colyer/Lyttelton/Dutch Swing College/Papa Bue etc.  In the
UK and Europe, this sound has always seemed to be more prevalent and more
accepted than the brass bass, 2 beat sound.

Then another set of revivalists followed the Oliver, Piron etc  New Orleans
bands, with that two-beat brass bass sound, subsequently picked up by the
great bands led by Watters/Murphy/Scobey/South Frisco/Yankee Rhythm Kings
etc and a few European bands like early George Webb.    The 2 beat sound
reigns supreme in North America, it seems to me, particularly on the West
coast.   Also there are some great French bands who have developed that 2
beat style - Charquet, Hot Antic etc.

We all surely love a good solo - it is the icing on the cake but I believe
the cake itself is the ensemble sound of the band.  It forms the foundation
and inspiration for a good solo.   Louis' very simple solo over the Luis
Russell band on his first recording of "Mahogany Hall Stomp" is a good
example.  One long-held note from Louis sounds immensely exciting, because
of the rhythm, changes and riffs being put out by the band behind him.
Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Canada

http://hotfivejazz@tripod,com (band web sites)