[Dixielandjazz] A parallel perhaps?

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Jun 18 14:38:37 PDT 2004

There is a new jazz/pop singer I am listening to right now (I actually
bought the CD after hearing a few tracks at the store - not a promo
copy!)
Katie Melua is a young woman originally from Georgia (Eastern Europe,
not Dixie) and she lives in the UK now.  The CD is named "Call Off The
Search" on the Dramatico label. There is a website for her at
http://www.katiemelua.com

My favorite track so far is the song "The Closest Thing to Crazy"
written by the record's producer Mike Batt (also the pianist.)  It has
a strong flavor of a Dr. John  slow boogie with a big horn section.

Anyway, I don't think she will be getting reviews like Jane Monheit...

Dave Richoux