[Dixielandjazz] Sam Morgan band

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Fri Jun 18 12:28:06 PDT 2004

My work here is done. 8-).

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com]On Behalf Of Brian Towers
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 10:57 AM
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com; Ron L'Herault
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Sam Morgan band

Hi Ron and listmates. A few words about this band.

The rare Sam Morgan band recordings of 1927 represents a perfect 1920's New
Orleans styled jazz for many of us "hard-backed" traditionalists and here
are someof the reasons:
1) The emphasis is on the ensemble sound, rather than the individual solo
and so there is always a flowing and polyphonic counterpoint.  It really is
a team effort - no stars but good all round musicians who understand the
art.
2) The string bass focuses on a powerful  "four beats to the bar" style,
rather than the more familiar "two-beat" which we associate more with
dixieland jazz., though the bassist also does some occasional 2 beat bowing
from time to time.
3) With a two trumpet front-line the band loosely follows the King Oliver
style, though the arrangements are  freer and less complex.
4) Clearly a band determined to entertain, with lots of fun vocals and very
danceable.

There are nine members in  the band - Sam & Isiah Morgan on trumpets; Andrew
Morgan is on clarinet & tenor sax and Ealr Fouche - alto sax; Tink
Baptiste - piano; Jim Robinso - trombone; Nolan Williams - drums; Johnny
Dave - banjo; Sidney Brown - string bass.   Only 35 sides were recorded by
black bands in New Orleans in the 1920's and the 8 tracks recorded by the
Morgan band give a precious picture of the way jazz was played in the city
at that time.  these were some of the guys who did not go North to Chicago
or New York.   The trombone player is an all-time he of mine.  Some 20 years
later he became a big part of the traditional jazz revival, when he played
with Bunk Johnson and later the George Lewis bands.    Shame this jazz was
not more familiar to the some of the revivalists - some of whom considered
the saxophone a dirty word!

Thought I would try to get my piece in before Bill Haesler!!  By the way,
one can hear these precious tracks on Jazz Oracle CD BDW 2002.  If anyone
wants a copy, I will give you the address of Colin Bray.

Brian Towers, Canada.