[Dixielandjazz] Emperor for 2005?

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Wed Jun 16 09:35:03 PDT 2004

From: dixielandtom at comcast.net
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Emperor for 2005?

>  I was at the  Jubilee  for the entire festival but  did not attend  the
>  closing at the  convention center.   I have asked many people who
>  are usually informed but no one can tell me who was selected to be
>  Emperor for 2005.  Help please

Hello, Tom,
To answer your question, here is the article that Roger Krum has written for
the upcoming STJS newsletter:

2005 EMPEROR OF JAZZ
by Roger Krum, Exec. Dir. of STJS and Jubilee

At the closing ceremony for the 2004 Sacramento Jazz Jubilee on Monday
afternoon, May 31st, it was announced that soprano saxophonist Jim Galloway
will serve as "Emperor of Jazz" at the 32nd annual Jubilee next year.

Emperor of Jazz is essentially a ceremonial role. It is a way to recognize
someone who has had a positive impact on jazz nationally and/or
internationally and who has had a connection to the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee.

Through the years, we have recognized many very special people as Emperor of
Jazz. However, for 2005 and for the first time, we are honoring someone who
truly represents the international aspect of jazz.

Jim Galloway was born in Scotland. For the past four decades, he has lived
in Toronto, Canada. Over the years Jim, has performed at jazz festivals,
jazz parties, and jazz clubs around the world. In 2002, the French
government named Jim to be a Chevalier of the Arts and Letters. This honor
is to recognize the accomplishments of people who have contributed
significantly to furthering the arts in France and throughout the world.

Sir Jim Galloway has performed at the Jubilee many times. In recent years,
including this year, he has been a member of Tom Saunders¹ Midwest
All-Stars.

All Hail Sir Jim Galloway!