[Dixielandjazz] The importance of musical equipment

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Mon Jun 14 15:10:32 PDT 2004

To the Clarinet Gang,

As a clarinet player I too have trouble with reeds [ Who doesn't ].

I recently took a seminar for $100 bucks to learn how to use a very sharp blade and work the reed.  I discovered I am too clumsy to make it work, I just hacked the reeds to pieces.

I searched WW-BW and read about the "Reed Wizard",  dug up the web site, reviewed the material and decided, after reflections to give it a try.  [ What the hell, its only money ].

Shock and surprise.  The little device works.  It seems the reed are not perfectly oval. the "Wizard" corrects the problem. Now, instead of two good reeds and a couple more "so-so" reeds in my case, I now have 12 reeds that are
virtually perfect.

The device does not take a #4 reed and change it into a 2 & 1/2 reed.  It makes the #4 reed play properly.  So I discovered.

I use a 2 & 1/2 reed. I took all my reeds this strength and gave it the treatment.  They all came out.  I am now awash in good reeds and it looks like the problems of the pass are over.

I am now a believer. You might want to check it out.

Russ Guarino