[Dixielandjazz] Saxophone - Jazz - Movies

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 14 00:45:32 PDT 2004

> "Norman Vickers" <nvickers1 at cox.net> wrote (polite snip)
>
> I hope I don't get too much flack for posting this article from the NY times
> on Benny Golson.  However, it's current-about a saxophone player, his career
> and current movie break at age 75. I hope some of you will find it of
> interest. Please don't kill the messenger.

Thank you for posting this one Norman. It is a wonderful article. Reminds me of a story Golson tells when you ask him about Coltrane. Relates to how all budding jazz musicians sometimes get hung up on mouthpieces, horns etc.,
the equipment rather than the music, and seek to copy from their heroes.

They were both growing up in Philadelphia when Charlie Parker came in town for a concert. So they cut school to go hear him. Spotting Bird on the street, they ran over to talk with him. Jazz musicians in those days were very
accessible and eager to help kids and Parker graciously responded to their questions about what mouthpiece he used, what reeds, etc. They sought to use what Bird used in hopes that it would make them better jazz players. They
left that day vowing to buy what Bird used, for their horns.

A week or so passed before Golson and Trane saw each other again and something like the following conversation took place.

Golson: "Did you get that mouthpiece and Reeds?"

Trane: "Un Huh, sure did."

Golson: "Me too, Did it make any difference?"

Trane: "Nope, you"?

Golson: "Me neither."

How many of us are hung up on a piece of equipment, or clothing, or whatever, because somebody famous uses it, or somebody famous played it that way?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. If I get "chewed out?" over the musical OKOM content of this post, Charles Suhor can chew me out? any time. The man has style and a lot more class than most of us.