[Dixielandjazz] Two Monterey Dixieland Festivals Confusion

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Jun 12 10:43:01 PDT 2004

Folks,

In 1968, Don Lewis & perhaps one or 2 other people had the idea to
capitalize on the fact that the Monterey Jazz Festival was such a success,
by putting on the Monterey Dixieland Festival at the same location as the
Jazz Festival.

According to Don, research was done to pick out a weekend when the weather
was expected to be good.  Unfortunately as it turned out, it wasn't good.  I
don't remember the rain but do remember how cold it was.

Since the festival went broke, it was never tried again.

Our listmate who was an usher there is correct--It was a hell of a show.  Of
course, we have already mentioned the fact that Louis Armstrong & his
all-stars were there.  I met & talked with Louis back stage but
unfortunately, as 10 years earlier when I met him, I was too dumb, or didn't
think about getting a picture of he & I.

Also on the show was the original Dukes of Dixieland, Turk Murphy, Clancy
Hayes, Mickey Finn, a group of all-stars from LA & more.

If I am not mistaken, a youth group from the San Diego area performed, which
included the then very young Dan Barrett & Hal Smith.  They were probably
about 16 years old then.

I have a program somewhere from the show.

Our listmate Ralph Thompson can put his hands on the program as he was also
on the show.  Perhaps Ralph will fill us in on some of the other acts.

I remember meeting Bob Havens there for the first time.

The legendary bass player, Pops Foster was there playing with Phil Howe's
band which was the house band for the festival.

I believe Bob Neighbors was on trumpet.  I know Jim Maihack was playing
trombone & I believe Thad Vandon on drums.

Pops was so nice.  My then, 3 year old daughter, along with Maihack's 3 year
old were there.  It was so cold that our wives attempted to take them back
stage.  Since the back stage area was mobbed the first night, they were not
letting anyone without a backstage pass in on Sat night.  However, Pops saw
the little girls & knew how cold they were.  He got them & took them over by
the heater, got something to cover them up with.

I played both Friday and Saturday nights with a 10 piece band with the
strange name, Sugar Willie & the 10 Cubes.

Sugar Willie (William Erickson) was the leader/arranger.  An account of the
band, with a review of our performance at the festival by Phillip Elwood, is
on my web site:

http://www.ringwald.com

click on Sugar Willie And The Cubes

There is also a couple of pictures of the band on the site.

Some musicians didn't get paid & some got half of their money.  Louis got
$10K, his fee because as I understand it, he had some sort of "personal
guarantee" in his contract.  The money for the festival was put up by some
of the Monterey businessmen who, of course, lost their shirt.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion regarding the two Monterey
Dixieland Festivals.  The current festival has no connection to the 1968
festival.

Bob
robert at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band