[Dixielandjazz] Re: Live Recordings

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 21:50:36 PDT 2004

robert at ringwald.com writes:

> Phil O'Rourke wrote:
>
> >The New Harlem Jazz Band from Melbourne, Australia released an LP back in
> >the days of LPs titled "Live Before A Recorded Audience". I think they may
> >have been on to something.

Or perhaps just ON Something, :))   wouldn't have been the first or last
group to do so.

I just got back from a Gig that the Audience was definitely ON Something,
Hell the whole community was on it, they grow it and sell it as the Gross
National Product of Humboldt County.  And I used to think Redwoods were Trees, Nope,
I now know that they are indeed very tall Green Plants that emit a purple haze
and peculiar odor akin to burning ropes soaked and dried in mulepiss or
perhaps goatpiss.

I found out what a real Herbal community is, they bake it in their brownies,
chocolate cakes, season their spaghetti sauce with it, use it in place of
cilantro in their chili, sprinkle it on their garlic bread and over omelets, and
even roll it up in newspaper and smoke it.

Makes the Gilroy Garlic festival odor no more than a sniff of garlic bread.

The department store in the town was called the Hemp Connection and was right
next door to the Highway Patrol Headquarters on one side and a Micro Brewery
on the other side.

Needless to say everyone within ten miles of the Festival site had a real
good time and boy were we and they all Mellow.  Nice to see a great event with NO
fights, I kept looking for the Town Drunk but he or she never stood out
enough to even be noticed or identified, :))

Since I could not find the official Town Drunk I took the job for two days,
guess I did a good job of it nobody bothered me or arrested me, however three
of the band members were arrested for being sober in public.

I saw a gaggle of Canadians going around and around in erratic circles trying
to make a landing on the Eel River, but they kept getting lost in the purple
haze above the audience and never did land, although they were honking quite
harmoniously as I recall in the key of F every time they passed over the stage.
 It's gonna take me a while to get those droppings out of the Tuba Bell,
however.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band