[Dixielandjazz] Glissandro

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Mon Jun 7 13:42:15 PDT 2004

Artie Shaw apparently didn't like to gliss over the throat tones, either.
His gliss at the end of  Begin the Beguine is from middle B-natural to high
E.   The arrangement is in Concert D, which is beautiful especially on the
alto saxes which are in the key of B.    The stock arrangement is in Concert
C which makes the clarinet gliss from A up to D, actually  more difficult
than what Shaw did.   Lowering the arrangement from D to C has always made
the stock sound dead compared to the original.

Bob Newman