[Dixielandjazz] Glissandro

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Sun Jun 6 23:08:57 PDT 2004

Ken,

Just practice until it comes along.  That's what I did.  I limit my
Glissandos to middle C to C, D to D, E to E , F to F and G to G.  I've
been unable to Glissando over the "break" and I don't use it in the low
register.

They usually are quick.  As you gain experience with them, they can be
surprisingly long.
At first I thought I was doing it with my fingers, but after awhile I
realized I was doing them mostly with embouchure.  They are high and
loud and for some people not pleasant because they can "screech".  I
will only use them once or at most twice a gig.

As a substitute for the Glissando, I use very fast chromatic scales and
I can use them anyplace. And, they can be any length.

The next step is to glissando down.  I haven't conquered "down" yet.

Russ Guarino
The Modest Clarinet Marvel from Monterey.