[Dixielandjazz] Dresden

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Jun 5 19:26:18 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kashishian" <kash at ran.es>
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 10:06 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Dresden

> We played the Dresden Festival in the spring just before the fall of the
> Berlin Wall.  We were flown (all travel paid) from Madrid to Rome, then on
> to East Berlin (on a Soviet plane!).  From East Berlin, where we spent one
> night, we were bussed to Dresden.  The flight included an extra ticket for
> our contrabass to have its own seat.
>
> We were met in East Berlin by "guides" who stayed with us during our
> complete visit.  Come down from your hotel room (also paid), and one would
> be in the lobby to help you find/go wherever you pleased....but, never
> alone.

Obviously KGB or East German equivelent.

We had a couple of them in the 70s or 80s, the first time the Russian band
played the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee.

I wanted to start a rumor saying that some of the Russian band members were
going to defect, but, for the good of the festival, I refrained.

--Bob
placerville, CA USA