[Dixielandjazz] Dresden

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sat Jun 5 20:06:33 PDT 2004

We played the Dresden Festival in the spring just before the fall of the
Berlin Wall.  We were flown (all travel paid) from Madrid to Rome, then on
to East Berlin (on a Soviet plane!).  From East Berlin, where we spent one
night, we were bussed to Dresden.  The flight included an extra ticket for
our contrabass to have its own seat.

We were met in East Berlin by "guides" who stayed with us during our
complete visit.  Come down from your hotel room (also paid), and one would
be in the lobby to help you find/go wherever you pleased....but, never
alone.

The "guides" spoke textbook Spanish, which is not nearly the same as myself
& my band mates speak, as we use a lot of slang.  We often wonder what the
"guides" reports to their superiors must have included!   :>

We played several massive sites, one which was 10,000 people.  The
horsedrawn carriage parade with one band in each & hangers-ons on each side
of us was unbelievable.  There were also street gigs, concert hall gigs, and
two small club gigs (one a cavern!).

We played complete, normal sets, except in one case where it was like a jam
session with about 20 trombones, 20 trumpets, etc, etc, and the formal hall
concert which was limited to 4 songs.

We were paid well, but of course, in those days you couldn't take the money
out of the country, so we spent it all on gifts.

We never, ever say "ole" in Spain.  It's more of a joke than anything,
unless you're a bullfight fan.  But, in Dresden, every gang of kids that
walked by us would yell "OLE" & we would yell it back.  It was great fun!

Jim