[Dixielandjazz] Eastern Block Countries

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Sat Jun 5 18:14:12 PDT 2004

Dear Tom,

I basically agree with what you say and I do think a certain amount of "Eastern Block countries" think prevails here but they have been successfully running this festival originally behind the iron curtain for 34 years so they are at least doing something for Dixieland Music.  Rod Mason is in Europe already and plays with a five piece and the Hot Antic Jazz Band are another well known group so I do not think the calibre is yet reduced to a McDonalds Hamburger Festival status unless they are also a sponsor.  We had to make up the money with other gigs in exchange as we did this year in Belgium, The Netherlands, UK and Austria.

In our case we got a spin off residency (as a result of them knowing we would be in Dresden the next weekend) at the exclusive Berlin, Intercontinental, Hotel in the Marlene (Dietrich) Bar.  Lucky for us that there happened to be an Australian Wine Week event at the Hotel.

Cheers,
Tom