[Dixielandjazz] DRESDEN DIXIELAND REPORT

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 03:14:58 PDT 2004

Dear Tom:

With all due respect. I would never have signed any such contract, even
though I too self produce and manufacture my own CDs.

If they want to use two of my songs they can negotiate to buy the rights for
them, they do not automatically come attached to a performance contract.   Any
recording agreements I make are for video of the performances for promotion
and publicity purposes exclusively.   If they want to manufacture and sell any
recordings they must pay for them, not my law but the laws of their contries.
In most European countires they are only allowed to film three minutes on any
given act exclusively for news and promotional purposes.

I have tried on many occassions to get them to film the entire performance
for me and I would pay for it, but they refuse stating that it is forbidden by
their laws.   I have such a performance, professional Television shoot from a
festival and it costs me nothing unless I decide to use it for commercial
purposes, in which case I am obligated to pay them $1,300.00 flat fee which was the
cost of shooting the five camera professional footage.   Cheap at triple the
price.

I also noted in your previous posts that they had you trotting around to play
20 and 13 minute performances, what kind of poppycock is that, it takes at
least 35 minutes to establish any decent repoire with an audience in most cases.

Sounds like a McDonalds Hamburger Festival to me mate, and you also had to
negotiate the travel arrangments?????    International acts at the minimum
should get R/t air transportation at economy class rate, insist on buying the
tickets youself so you can get the frequent flyer miles, ground transportation from
the airport to the hotel/gig site, hotel accommodations ( minimum double
occupancy) and at least one hot meal per day.

If they don't provide those things in addition to your fees or honorarium
then the event is not even worth considering, unless you add all of them up and
include them in your fees.

I know exactly what it cost me to tour my act and there is no negotiations
lower than those minimums, anything less is just not good sound business and
they should know that, but then again they get many acts who are so hungry to
play they will take any deal offered just to get on a stage and especially if
they can travel somewhere.   Some acts do it just for a vacation and lose money
just for the pleasure of going there.

Not me I have a big band to support and I have to do it as a business every
time.
I am not saying that you guys don't. jkust that there are indeed others who
do, which jmakes it harder and harder for professional touring acts to get
solid bookings, since many of these so called festivals start to book only the
acts they can manipulate.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band