[Dixielandjazz] multi-instrumentalist

Richard Crockett rcrockett1 at houston.rr.com
Fri Jun 4 12:27:03 PDT 2004

Ed Copeland, Houston, beats anything I've ever seen.

He started on violin in high school; switched to trumpet; he started playing
saxophones and clarinet because all the hotel bands liked a sax player who
could double violin. He plays styles: dixie, commercial, bebop, country. He
reads anything -- legit, dance, jazz. He fakes real well; knows a gazillion
tunes. He plays bass guitar and regular electric guitar -- gigs a lot on
bass. When I've booked him to play clarinet in a trio (bass, guitar,
clarinet) he always brings a little keyboard synth and plays vibes on that
when I'm soloing.

He writes big band arrangements -- taught himself to use Finale.

He just retired from Boeing. He worked in the Control Room during space
flights. He has two different Engineering degrees...

Whew!!!  He just wears me out.

BTW, I think he is 70 this year.

Later, dc
p.s. he just returned from a 2-week mini-tour playing bass with a Klezmer
band.