[Dixielandjazz] Virtuoso Doubling

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Fri Jun 4 12:18:34 PDT 2004

Steve Barbone wrote about the wonderful Randy Reinhart (trumpet and a
raft of other horns).

This reminded me of a wonderful ex-Chicago musician, Ira Sullivan, whom
I heard in Elkhart several years ago--maybe 10-12yrs.  Not only did he
play a beautiful trumpet and fluegelhorn, but he picked up a soprano sax
and played the wonderful Benny Carter "Key Largo" with Eddie Higgins at
the piano.  It was a stupendously lyrical and moving performance.

We are so lucky in this Jazz World to have had, and still have many,
gifted artists who bring such beauty into our lives.  Now, if we could
just say the same for politicians.

Regards,  Harold Smith