[Dixielandjazz] doubling on horns

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Fri Jun 4 01:08:26 PDT 2004

I knew I would open a can of worms by saying it was difficult to hear a good
horn man honk on two different horns.  There are gobs of people out there
doing it.  Tuba & bone, trumpet & 'bone, etc.  However, I stand by my
original statement that it is the odd bird that can pull it off really
well....and, some mentioned people like Maynard Ferguson & of course the
name that started the subject...J. Morrison.  Them's guys having nothing to
do with us normal human beings.

I remember even in High School Band there was always the one that could play
way above everyone else, and didn't even tend to practice much.  Natural
talent is the name.  It's a gift, and is so often misused (particularly in
the pop music world....Michael Jackson comes to mind, not because of the
accusations, but because of his general weirdness, and that he just plain
doesn't get out anymore and share that huge talent!).

The rest of us have to work at it quite a bit (still practicing daily after
some 53 yrs of blowing!), and we never reach those levels.

I can play a decent chorus on trumpet, but I am a trombonist, and that's as
far as it goes.

Jim