[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee young and old

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Jun 2 10:44:11 PDT 2004

I have two LP's that I have been thinking of burning off to CD's. Blues
Cross Country, a great collection of placv name blues. Her version of
Mercer's Salt Lake City Blues in particular a gem.
Then there is Beauty and the Beat with George Shearing -- both at their best
and perfectly paired.
In my high school days in the dark ages of the 40's, we all knew and sang
along with Why Don'tcha Do  Right and Get Me Some Money, Too! Didn't hurt to
have the Goodman band backing her, either.
As a composer herself, she was more than competent. Her "I can sing a
rainbow" in Pete Kelly's
Blues a lovely lyric in itself.
She was one of the few who made the big bad Eisner of Disney eat crow. She
sued -- and won -- big bucks for their unlicensed use of her copyrighted
music that they were not going to pay for since it had been used in an
earlier Disney flick. But she wwas smart enough to have reserved all rights
beyond the original license for use, and not a "work for hire" sale. Disney
not only had to pay but in 7 figures -- that's  a million bucks, baby.
The Swede was definitely no dumb blond!!
Yes, her final days, following several debilitating illnesses, were sad to
see. But even at her worst she was better than most of today's crop of
singers in search of  the melody.
Don Ingle