[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee young and old

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 2 10:15:13 PDT 2004

Pat said
>       I think a lot of players stop practicing....and unless you're
playing
> fairly steady, you're definitely going to go down hill.  Just hanging on
is
> not good enough....there must be growth, and there is no growth without
> enough enthusiasm and dedication to keep working at it.

Pat, thank you for an inspiring and positive posting. You are, of course
absolutely right. It is easy to become complacent and just go through the
motions. The correct method is still to aim for improvement. I learned 2
lessons from working with a couple of jazz legends. One was Al Casey, who
told me that the entire Harlem Blues & Jazz Band, of which he was a member,
wee continually listening to music on the newly arrived walkmans (this was
1985). The second was Art Hodes, who listened and played and still had
something to say at the age of 85. "Why do you play at your age", someone
asked him. "Because I have to", he replied A gig with  either of these two
always produced a spark. On the contrary, I have played with musicians who
grumble in bandwagons if jazz is played in the vehicle, and some who listen
to no jazz at all and many who do not work on their craft.
As for Peggy Lee - wonderful!!!
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com