[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee young and old

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Tue Jun 1 23:40:14 PDT 2004

Tom Wiggins said:
>Many of us Stay far too long at the FAIR, but what the hell else can we do,
>we do what we do and as long as somebody wants to believe we still have the
>Fever. Why should we not try to give it to them ONE More Time?

     True...I remember years ago seeing a program on TV: Oscar Peterson and
Joe Pass, who still played flawlessly, accompanying Ella Fitzgerald singing.
Ella was just not up to it any more, having gone through some serious health
problems.  I felt so bad for her.....she had been so good for so long.
      I saw Al Hirt's last performance here in New Orleans. It was pitiful.
He had to be helped onto the bandstand, and he played worse than a beginner.
But I guess he needed the money.  When I talked to him he was complaining
that he could not command the money he once did. He died a couple of weeks
later.
      I hope I know when to hang it up.  The thing is, even your best
friends won't tell you you're through.  But I still practice diligently, and
amazingly enough, I think I'm still getting better.  I once saw a poster
somewhere: It had a little wildflower just popping out of a seed with a drop
of dew on it.  The caption was: "Growth is the only sign of life."
      I think a lot of players stop practicing....and unless you're playing
fairly steady, you're definitely going to go down hill.  Just hanging on is
not good enough....there must be growth, and there is no growth without
enough enthusiasm and dedication to keep working at it.
      I was in a music store yesterday, and there was a young fellow (19) in
the store trying out a Fender bass.  His dad was with him.  They were from a
small town not far from New Orleans.  The kid was playing some of the most
complicated and amazing things I have ever seen or heard anyone do on any
kind of bass, all with lightning speed; and he just kept it going.  I talked
to his dad, and he said the kid practiced as much as 12 hours a day.  I said
the kid would be signing autographs, and he said the kid is a pre-med
student.  Both of his parents are musicians, as well as all of his siblings.
Seeing that kid was well worth the trip to the store that day.
     I feel certain the loss of  'talent' is closely related to the loss of
enthusiasm, resulting in less or no practice, and fewer and fewer
performances.  A call for a gig comes, and you're not ready for it; but you
take it anyway.  You can figure out the rest.
    Pat Cooke
     New Orleans