[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee young and old

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 05:33:48 PDT 2004

Hi listmates,

Tom Wiggins wrote:

>Many of us Stay far too long at the FAIR, but what the hell else can we do,
>we do what we do and as long as somebody wants to believe we still have the
>Fever. Why should we not try to give it to them ONE More Time?

This sounds like an appeal to show some sympathy to the pathetic old geezer
who used to be a hotshot but now just dreams of doing "his thing."

I think you can either entertain because that's a thing you know how to do
or you can pretend to entertain because you used to do it and are hoping
that people will take pity and tolerate a "has been" out of sympathy.

If you can really perform on your ax and keep people engrossed then you're
not "staying too long at the fair" -- think Spiegle Wilcox, for example.

If you can't hack it anymore go to the fair and watch the show but don't
expect the girls to throw their motel room keys at your feet if you are just
a'hankerin' to get back on the band stand!

I got news for those who think they can relive that stuff . . . Roger
Bannister can't run the mile in under four minutes anymore!!

Basically, what I'm saying is "If you have any brains you'll know when to
quit."

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "about ready to hang it up" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com