[Dixielandjazz] RE: Sugar Blues

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Sat Jul 31 23:28:03 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Several recordings of the tune have been mentioned but no mention of Wooden
Joe's date of July 21 1949.

Sadly this session does not measure up to his first recording session in
1945. I first heard two tracks from that time in 1955 and had not been aware
of him prior to then.When I heard Shake It And Break It and Up Jumped The
Devil, which was recorded a week later  with Baby Dodds replacing Cie
Frazier,I thought that I was in Heaven.

A cd from George Buck-AMCD-5 contains the best of Wooden Joe, the Sugar
Blues is on the cd that comes with "Bill Russell's American Music " book,
also available from G.Buck. No doubt many DJML members are familiar with
both but anybody interested in N.O. music should have the cd and the book in
their collection.

Cheers, Glen.