[Dixielandjazz] NOT 'Knockin' A Jug'

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Sat Jul 24 14:10:09 PDT 2004

I was wondering if there are still any jug bands in OKOM. There are a staggering number of bands in the world playing OKOM that I'm surprised that I never seem to hear any jug bands.
When I thik of the wonderful music played by the likes of the Memphis Jug Band, Cannon's Jug Stompers, the Dixieland Jug Blowers, the Birmingham Jug Band, Clifford's Jug Stompers, and a whole host of others, it surprises me that this is one of the branches that seems to have withered and died.
All this talk of bass/tuba solos and yet there are some fine jug solos - most of them short breaks, and some really solid bass lines backing the bands.

Cheers

Bob