[Dixielandjazz] Bass Solos

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams at eds.com
Fri Jul 23 09:59:23 PDT 2004

Y'all:

Dave is spot on.  I know a couple of bass players who are technically
brilliant, but very difficult to work with because they have great trouble
restraining themselves.  I think different instruments in a trad band need
to stick primarily to their FUNCTION, and be flashy only secondarily, and
then only during a solo.

The guys I'm thinking of are soloing CONSTANTLY - and there's not much more
annoying than competing with a bassist during your own solo.  Especially
when you're struggling to remember your slide positions as it is.  Ahem.
They are so talented, granted, but they are so desperate to be in the front
line - to be the "star performer."

I think it takes a lot of discipline for a bass player to restrain himself
to his function when he has a lot of chops.  Dave Gannett, I think, is a
master of this; it's very evident on the Black Dogs recordings.  He waits
until he has a solo, then WATCH OUT.

Actually, it's difficult for ANY of us to restrain ourselves, I've found.
After years of trying to acquire technique, I'm having the greatest
challenge trying to simplify and economize.

A joke I found yesterday:

Q. How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A. One. Five. One. Five.

Bob Williams
- Still The World's Most Modest Man