[Dixielandjazz] BASS SOLOS $ Grimaces

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Jul 23 07:54:35 PDT 2004

Steve...
     There used to be a bass player(?) here in New Orleans who had a band.
The guy knew absolutely nothing about the instrument, in fact had no musical
training whatsoever.  He was good at booking jobs...he really hustled.  He
looked through the wedding notices and called and/or wrote to them.
    The thing is, he did everything with the bass except play it.  He spun
it around, laid it down and rode it like a horse, all the time slapping the
strings.
     What's truly amazing is people would come away saying, "He's the best
bass player I ever heard in my life!"
      Pat Cooke