[Dixielandjazz] Re: THE ARTISTIC GRIMACE

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Thu Jul 22 12:26:21 PDT 2004

I do a lot of "street band" tuba playing (just about as much as
stage/club performances ) and I have noticed that people do not pay
much attention to bass/tuba solos unless I stand up and move around a
lot. If I am playing the best solo I have ever done and am sitting down
behind my tuba I see people looking around, trying to figure out who is
actually playing! (same thing happens when our drummer is singing - he
often gets hidden by the front line.)

If I am playing a Sousaphone or Helicon, and/or standing up and moving
around as I play - then the audience has a bit more of a clue and
sometimes I get a little applause at the end. If I have time at the end
of my solo I try to give a little bow or other acknolegment of the
applause (when it happens...)

Dave Richoux