[Dixielandjazz] Re: THE ARTISTIC GRIMACE

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 22 08:17:04 PDT 2004

DJML and others--
     Nah, this idea is OK, but short-sighted.  It's not only the
'grimace', but additionally other body-contortions intended to
suggest acute abdominal distress, or great artistic parturition (one
or the other).  They're missing the boat by concentrating only on the
face.
     For just one example, just in dixieland, off the top of my head i
immediately thought of one physical move: the knee-jerk, which has
been perfected by at least two splendid players:
     1) the clarinet player with the Buck Creek Jazz Band, John
Skillman, who uses it in combination with some wonderful melodic
improvisational figures;
     2) the trombone player with Denver's Queen City Jazz Band, Mark
Janicki, who (presumably to be able to force out the requisite tricky
articulations) also exhibits a slightly different knee-jerk.
     Both moves appear to be involuntary, a reaction concomitant to
and coeval with the improvisitory figure played.  In less artistic
hands these moves are consciously forced out to distract the audience
from the fact that the player doesn't have the slightest conception
of how to play a respectable melodic improvisation.  (Much like
Ambrose Bierce's reflection that handkerchiefs are chiefly used at
funerals to conceal the lack of tears.)  These guys think that by
"selling the move" they sell the solo, and too often, unfortunately,
for some inexperienced audiences, they're right.  The audience might
respond to a grimace, or a knee-jerk, or a squat, as if that move
were the physical analog of great playing.
     This, of course, does not exhaust the players or the moves.
Trumpet players have their own set of moves (the 'squat' while
hitting a loud or high note, for example).  Drummers of the Louis
Bellson school of showmanship like to hit everything in sight, and
look _underneath_ the cymbals while doing so, combined with an
expectantly surprised expression; they hope to cover up the fact that
they can't play as well as Bellson with similar or even greatly
exaggerated moves.
     Charlie Callas the comedian used to be a drummer, but he made the
rest of the band laugh so much that in self-defense they took away
his drums and put him in front of the band, but that didn't work
either, as he would still break up the band by making hand-motions
behind his back (like trying to wave away a particularly noxious
flatulence).  When playing a drum solo, he used to hit the cymbal,
then pick up the edge of it and look underneath, saying, "My laundry
ready yet?"
     I could go on, but you get the idea.

     Dan