[Dixielandjazz] Chords and all that!

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 07:22:25 PDT 2004

I've always used the similarities of tunes as a memory aid. In fact, my good
friend Bill Rutan, master dixie banjoist and a guy who knows ALL (including
the verses) used to tell me, when I would ask how he remembered so many tunes:
"Just remember how tunes are DIFFERENT from each other... you won't have to
remember as much"

Dave in Dallas wrote: "...Bourbon Street Parade. It has some common Dixieland
progresions. The pattern also works over Washington & Lee Swing, Bill Bailey,
Second Line and probably a few other tunes."

I don't think Second Line fits the same chord pattern. "Tiger Rag" would. So
would "Hey, Engineer." Second Line is a close companion of Rock Around The
Clock... just a simple 1-4-5 blues pattern.

Five Foot Two and The Charleston have a lot in common. Alabamy Bound and
Limehouse Blues are closely related. Then there's the tunes that START on the 4
and the tunes that START on the 5... ah, well...

~Rocky Ball
banjo - Atlanta