[Dixielandjazz] jazz in Melbourne

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Sat Jul 17 20:39:12 PDT 2004

Having been lurking a while after some time in Bali, Indonesia and at the Merimbula jazz festival in Southern New South Wales, I thought I'd better tell you about a few of the exciting events in OKOM in our part of OZ.  With the Louisiana Shakers touring Europe and the Society Syncopators having just returned, we're about to unleash our own Mick Potter on an unsuspecting continent.  I sat with Father Mick at the 36th birthday celebration of the Victorian Jazz Club at the Collingwood Football last night and it was a noteworthy event.  We enjoyed 2 great bands, the Simon Stribling Reunion Band and David Ward's Waterfront Cafe Band, which reunited Ian Walkear and Derek Reynolds, formerly of NMJB.  Simon, (CNT), who's visiting his old home town, had his Canadian wife, Laurie Lister on Drums, Ian Smith singing and playing every thing he could get his hands on and the likes of such great musos as Graham Coyle (PNO), Peter Baylor (GTR), Joe Stevenson (REEDS) and Chris Ludowyk on string bass and trombone.  Many great musos sat in with both bands and it was a memorable evening.  I can't believe I was one of the volunteers who helped start the club all those years ago.  I was the original doorman & bouncer in those days.  These days, I set up the sound and occasionally MC.  We've seen tough times, but we're still going.  You can check us out on the web at www.victorianjazzclub.com
On Sunday, 1st Aug. we have our annual Louis night at the Bentleigh Club, featuring Mike Hallam from Sydney with our own John Hawes, Steve Waddell, John Scurry, John Adams, Dave Hetherington and Leon Heale.  Next Sat. 24th Jul. at the Air Forces Club, we have the Society Syncopators fresh back from Europe.  If you're in our neck of the woods, drop me a line and I'll be pleased to point you in the right direction. (or even take you there)
Best regards,
Sam Meerkin (freezing his assets off in our Melbourne winter)