[Dixielandjazz] Fonk

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 18 02:50:16 PDT 2004

Yo! Dudes!

Recently I have come across a new word (well, new to me anyway). Listmate
Don Ingle used it in an e-mail to me and I was sort of able to devine its
meaning via the context.

But I did a google search on "fonk" and "music" and came up with lots of
references. The most common ones involved Spike Jones (the band that Don
Ingle's dad, Red, was a prominent member of). The only trouble was that all
of the hits I perused simply used the word and nowhere could I find a
definition, nor did I see any consistency in the various usages.

So, without revealing any contextual meaning I elicited from Don's use of
the word, I would like to ask the knowlegeble subscribers herein for some
succinct definitions of "Fonk."

What is a "Fonk?"

Respectfully requested,

Bill "Is it a funky honk?" Gunter