[Dixielandjazz] Responses concerning "After Hours" by James P.Johnson

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Sat Jul 17 08:26:16 PDT 2004

Craig Johnson enquired :

"John, you say you made a piano roll of After Hours. Should I assume that by
your comment
 that the Johnson piece was (at least by comparison with his better known
stride pieces - unremarkable) that the one you recorded was the Parrish
tune?"

No, my piano roll is the James P. Johnson tune. My "unremarkable" label was
not intended to condemn After Hours as a hopeless piece of music, I was
simply suggesting that this tune is not one of James P.'s best.

John Farrell