[Dixielandjazz] Re: And now for "After Hours" by James P. Johnson

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 16 22:40:53 PDT 2004

Dear Craig,
Is this a trick question?
Just kidding.
"After Hours" was recorded by Erskine Hawkins (The Twentieth Century
Gabriel) and His Orchestra for Bluebird on 10 June 1940.
This is essentially a blues piano solo by its composer Avery Parrish.
(Playing it now. An old favourite of mine since I had the 78.)
There is an "After Hours" credited to James P Johnson (1923) in the Library
of Congress listings but, so far as I can find, he never recorded it.
Nor can I find it listed as a piano roll.
Perhaps my mate John Farrell can confirm this.
What is your source for the James P version?
Very kind regards,
Bill.