[Dixielandjazz] Insurance

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Thu Jul 15 18:30:46 PDT 2004

This is not a practice that is restricted to Oz! My wife noticed the
same things going on at almost ALL of the shows I play in California
when she is in the audience - Sunday afternoon jazz societies are the
worst, but it even happens in the restaurants and clubs we play (unless
the management and wait-staff are really keeping on top of their
business.)  Sure, a lot of the jazz fans are on fixed incomes or they
want prices to be what they were in the 30's or 40's - but that is not
going to happen any time soon!  Our band often plays without a cover
charge and the prices for food and drink are usually quite reasonable
by current San Francisco Bay Area standards, but if the club owners (or
host lodges) are not making a profit on food and drinks there is
ultimately no choice for them but to kick the free-loaders out (or
raise the rent for the jazz societies...)

Dave Richoux