[Dixielandjazz] INSURANCE >> A Major Problem for Bands

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 07:49:22 PDT 2004

In a message dated 7/12/04 10:16:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> It is always good to have liability insurance as an individual, as a
> band, as a club owner, etc.

A club which we have played at for the last 4 years has informed me that they
are cancelling all music (including DJ's) because their annual liability
insurance increased by $15000 and that DIDN'T INCLUDE live performance!!  After
searching for a different insurance company, they refused to even issue a new
policy which included live music to which people could dance.

I asked the owner about how he learned of this change in policy.  He said it
was merely a terse notation on his renewal contract...no advance notice or
anything.  He had to have his attorney search out a new insurance carrier, who
conceded to place the NO MUSIC coverage.

The writing on the wall is painful.  Last year, a the Fingerlakes Dixieland
Jazz Festival here in NY state was cancelled because of extremely high
liability insurance for the one-day event.  Other club owners will also only find out
their mode of business is changing when their policies run out.  I'm not sure
if this is another reflection of 9-11 damage or just exploitation by the
insurance companies of that event.  In NY State, worker's liability Insurance rates
have also gone through the roof because their is no longer any provision for
worker complicity or blame.  This is forcing many small building contractors
out of the business.

I would recommend any band that has a regular gig ask the club manager about
the future of music at that club.  Will their liability policy also be
recinded when the new insurance policy renewal is implemented??  Feedback from DJML
listmates on what is learned would be greatly appreciated.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Traditional Jazz since 1958
We ain't just whistling Dixie!