[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bessie Smith @ the movies

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 8 20:44:47 PDT 2004

Dear Snogpitch,
You mention (in part): >There was a film made in 1976 called Lucky Lady,
with Gene Hackman, Liza Minnelli, and Burt Reynolds, which had a few
recordings by Bessie Smith, such as Young Woman Blues, Hot Time in the Ole
Town Tonight, found on the movie soundtrack LP.<

Mmmmmmmmm?
It may have been "Young Woman's Blues" by Bessie, but, after checking a
lengthy synopsis of the film 'Lucky Lady' I am not sure that this is the
film I recall.
I have a good memory for films and plots, but this one does not ring any
bells.
Nor can I recall "Hot Time in the Ole Town Tonight".
There is a reference to the Ray Henderson- Buddy DeSyla- Lew Brown hit "If I
had a Talking Picture of You" in the listing I have. Who could that have
been by?
I think this is a fascinating list.
Mention something and you can be sure of an interesting reply.
As you have just provided.
Many thanks.
Very kind regards,
Bill.