[Dixielandjazz] Re: 1,000 Clowns/Stars and Stripes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 8 18:07:41 PDT 2004

Dear Butch,
Regarding your comment: >but I seem to remember it sounds like the Eubie
Blake arrangement<
Refer to my earlier today post regarding the Eubie Blake possibility.
His version is probably too late for the 1965 film.
So far as 'Catch 22' and JRM's "The Crave' is concerned, I nearly fell out
of my seat when I first heard the soundtrack in a theatre during the early
70s.
There is also a feature film from many years ago which used Bessie's 1923
"Down Hearted Blues" (I think) on the soundtrack , but I have long forgotten
which film it was.
Now however, thanks to people like Woody Allen, we are used to this kind of
thing happening.
But it was always a knockout to us young enthusiasts in the 'old' days.
On another tack.
I always find coincidence amazing.
Only yesterday, while searching my files looking for information for notes I
am writing for Graeme Bell's new CD (details will be posted late July), I
came across the 'hand-out' for your 13th March 1991 appearance with Geoff
Bull's Jazz Band at the Coogee Randwick RSL Club in Sydney, Australia.
You won't remember me, but I met you there and again (I seem to recall) at
the Unity Hall Hotel in Balmain (one of our local pubs).
And there you were this morning, on my computer screen!
Very kind regards,
Bill.