[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Five Pennies" - Composer and lead sheet question

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 3 17:44:03 PDT 2004

Dear Greg,
Further to my earlier email today.
I have just spoken by phone to my banjo-playing mate Geoff Holden, to see if
he has 'The Five Pennies' film soundtrack LP.
He does not (or so he believes) but confirms that the 1927 (Nichols) and the
1959 (Fine) tunes are definitely NOT the same.
Geoff used to play the Sylvia Fine tune in the early 90s with the
Sydney-based Geoff Bull Olympia Jazz Band.
Geoff also has chords for both versions.
John McCarthy is the long-time regular cltist with Geoff Bull's band and may
even have been the source for their version of the Sylvia Fine version.
John is playing a gig with my band in 3 hours, so I will ask him.
I am still looking locally for the LP to satisfy my own curiousity about
this.
Very kind regards,
Bill.