[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Five Pennies" - Composer and lead sheet question

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 3 15:03:43 PDT 2004

Dear Craig,
I have been waiting to see what the experts turned up for you regarding the
composition "Five Pennies/The Five Pennies" before I replied.
Particularly regarding the Sylvia Fine contribution (if any).
So far no replies on DJML that I have noticed.
Perhaps Eric Holroyd replied to you direct, as he has made his own
transcriptions of the tune for concert/festival performances by his band.
Everything I have from the early days gives Red Nichols as composer.
Except for an EMI/Capitol reissue which says the tune was published in 1959
and credits it to Sylvia Fine. Probably based on inaccurate/hasty record
company research.
Incidentally, Ms Fine (Mrs Danny Kaye) did not get an Academy 'award' for
this tune in 'The Five Pennies' film, only a nomination (1959).
A thought just hit me. Is the song "The Five Pennies" in the film the same
as the original 1927 composition "Five Pennies"?
Or did Ms Fine compose a  completely new song to be performed by Louis
Armstrong and Danny Kaye in the 1959 film.
Unfortunately, I do not have the film soundtrack material on LP or CD to
check this out.
David Littlefield was collecting Red Nichols' material for his fake book
compilation a few months ago.
Maybe he can help.
Very kind regards,
Bill.